It is my pleasure to address you today, Tuesday,23rd February,2021 as the 29th Commissioner of Police, Anambra State – the Light of the Nation. I give all thanks to Almighty God for His favour and mercies; and the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Mohammed Abubakar Adamu NPM, mni for finding me worthy to serve as the Commissioner of Police, Anambra State Police Command at this time.
- On assumption of duty within the last few days, I have been fully briefed on a few criminal and security challenges in the State at the moment.These include, the menace of one chance robbery gangs,armed robbery, kidnapping, cultism,illegal revenue collectors and of course disputes over land,kingship,boundaries, famers/herders clash and sundry offences .Undoubtedly, the command under my predecessor, AIG John B.Abang,fdc has recorded many successes in curbing the menace of armed robbery,cultism and communal crisis across the State, arrest and prosecution of other capital offenders in crimes such as murder and rape as well as the general maintenance of law and order in the State. I also want to acknowledge the immense support of the Anambra State Government for the operations and activities of the Police Command and its personnel.
- In keeping with the vision of the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Mohammed Abubakar Adamu NPM, mni to ‘make Nigeria safer and more secure for economic development and growth…’, the Command under my watch shall take drastic measures on crime. Therefore, all our efforts and energies shall be mobilized and deployed towards the prevention of crimes; and the successful apprehension of criminals that would test our resolve.The Command under my watch shall reinvigorate Operation Puff Adder II and give it more bite to tackle cultism, robbery, kidnapping and illegal revenue collections particularly in Onitsha,Nkpor,Obosi, Oba,Enugu-Agidi road,Nnobi/Alor road and Nnewi. This is a clarion call to all officers and men of the Command to brace up for the task ahead.My advise to cultists,robbers,kidnapper and other hoodlums in the State is for them to have a rethink and purge themselves or relocate from the State.
- Another menace is the issue of fake news which has the capacity to cause widespread disaffection, chaos, violence or disruption of the public peace. May I use this medium to warn the purveyors of such news through whatever means to desist henceforth; or face the full wrath of the law whenever they are apprehended. Inspite of our resolve to fight violent crimes and cultism to a standstill, efforts would be made to employ Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) strategies and Community Policing Principles where applicable and germane to specific problems and issues.
- Furthermore, I am not unmindful of other challenges bordering on professional misconduct on the part of our officers and men such as extortion, unlawful detention and incivility to members of the Public among others. In this vein, I urge all personnel of the Command to eschew corrupt practices and indiscipline. The Command will sustain the existing inter-agency collaboration and improve on our respect for the Rule of Law and fundamental Human Rights in accordance with international best practices.
- I want to assure all “Ndi Anambra” both at home and in Diaspora that the Command under my watch will continue to work assiduously to sustain the status quo of Anambra as the safest State in the country. It is also pertinent to emphasize here that, the safety and security of lives and property in the State will not be possible without the cooperation of well meaning members of the public and religious/community leaders. Your trust in the ability of the Police and other security agencies will continue to enhance safe and secure environment for all residents in the State. I want to solicit the support and understanding of the members of the media( fourth (4th) Estate of the Realm) in the resolve of the Police Command to make Anambra State safer for all and sundry.
- Finally, I encourage well meaning members of the public resident in Anambra State to report any suspicious person(s) or movement(s) to the nearest Police Station or through the Command’s emergency number 112 or call 07039194332 for prompt action, please.
Thank you and God bless you all
CP MONDAY BALA KURYAS,fsi
COMMISSIONER OF POLICE,
ANAMBRA STATE POLICE COMMAND,